Monday, September 28, 2009

Awesome Wonders


Hi Everybody ……. :)

The last three days have been fairly nice to me. Have you ever heard the song “I Can’t Even Walk without You Holding My Hand”? Powerful!! Absolutely Powerful!! An old song sung by many but Kathy and I really enjoy the way Luther Barnes put it together, live. We danced to it at our son Scotts wedding, the first time I ever danced with my wife since we’ve been married, it took 23 years. A truly wonderful experience, only the two of us on the dance floor. Had to mention this because the song cued up to play when I started to write. Hope I can get to today’s inspirational, there are a lot of good songs on this CD that make you want to sing, dance or just think and cry some happy tears.
Ok, let me give it a shot.
I went through my book and picked out a couple possibilities that I wanted to share with you. Thought about them while having breakfast then looked at them again and asked our Lord which one and this is what he picked.
I wrote it back in April 2008. I pray it touches your heart as well as a pleasant memory you have encountered of God’s many awesome wonders, they are endless.

Through My Mind’s Eye
Inspired by the Holy Spirit
Edited by Jesus Christ


Awesome Wonders


Have you ever stopped to consider just how many Awesome Wonders there are in the world? Here it is midnight, and I cannot sleep because I was thinking of my most favorite hymn, “How Great Thou Art”. I tried to ignore it because of the time but the Holy Spirit had different ideas about the subject, so here we are.
There are a lot of good songs and hymns that worship and praise the Lord but this one has always hit home with me. A Swedish pastor, editor, and member of the Swedish parliament, Mr. Carl Gustaf Boberg wrote this after he watched a severe thunderstorm pass and heard a church bell off in the distance, and was published in 1891 as “O Great God”. Skipping a little bit of history, George Beverly Shea sang this hymn in 1954 at a Billy Graham evangelistic team crusade in London and later sang it over 100 times during a Billy Graham revival crusade in New York.
There are a lot of songs and hymns that touch my heart and soul but none like this one, it says it all.

O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars; I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

Somewhere back in the cobwebs of my memory I vaguely remember hearing or reading something about scientist saying that we are drawn to the mountains, the oceans and storms because of the positive or negative ions that they produce. What little do they know? Not so much the ocean but I have always been drawn to the mountains because of the peaceful serenity and the feeling of being closer to God. Where the only man made thing you hear is the spinning reel as you toss your bait out into the lake, river, brook or stream. And the storms have always reminded me of not just the amazing beauty that they create but of Gods almighty power.

And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
And then proclaim: “My God, how great Thou art!”

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.

I have known this all my life and accepted it and understood it but only to a point where I didn’t want it to interfere with my fleshy desires. You might say I was riding that fence, wanting but not wanting to commit to the Lord. Yes there is a testimony here and the Lord has wanted me to share it with you but he has graciously given me the time I have asked for. I believe that it will mean a lot more not just for me but for you when that time arrives.
Well, have you had enough time to think about just how many Awesome wonders there are? What about the “7 Wonders of the World”? In the Ancient World there were:
1. The Great Pyramids of Giza – 2700 to 2300 B.C.
2. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon – 600 B.C.
3. Temple of Diana at Ephesus – 555 B.C.
4. The Statue of Zeus – 430 B.C.
5. The Mausoleum of Halikarnassos – 353 B.C.
6. The Colossus of Rhodes – 280 B.C.
7. The Lighthouse of Alexandria – 279 B.C.

The New 7 Wonders are:

1. The Great Wall of China – 220 B.C. & 1368 to 1644 A.D.
2. Petra, Jordan – 9 B.C. to 40 A.D.
3. The Colosseum, Rome 70 to 82 A.D.
4. The Pyramid at Chichen Itza, Mexico – before 800 A.D.
5. Machu Picchu, Peru – 1460 to 1470
6. The Taj Mahal, India 1630
7. Christ Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro – 1931

Have you ever heard the saying; God built the Ark – man built the Titanic? Every one of these Wonders were built by man and even though they are something to look at there was and is only ONE AWESOME WONDER. And that is the WORLD that God created for his other creation, MANKIND. From as far North is South and East is West, from the highest of mountains to the deepest ocean and everything in-between.
Stop, look and listen, God is everywhere!

Well there it is, something to really think about. Until next time;

Remember - - JLY & MGBYAKY
Love to All Skippy/Cochise

P.S. After fighting with this program for about 20 minutes about where I wanted to put the picture, at the bottom of the blog, if you would please scan back up to the top of this blog you will notice, if you hadn't already, the picture I took from my back yard, somewhere around march 2007, I think. Anyway, what I am really trying to get accross is the beauty of the sunrise, painted by our Lord God Almighty. Nobody paints a better picture and the nice thing about it is that each and every morning is a different picture, an awesome wonder to behold, a gift of beauty for us to enjoy. In Jesus' name, thank you Father God.


2 comments:

  1. Skippy,
    I LOVE that picture! I, too am drawn towards water....never been to a mountain so can't talk to that. But I love the sounds, smells and sight of the water.....even the feel of the splash of the waves on my face when at the coast.

    I also love the song...How Great Thou Art. It's a beautiful song. And has lots of truth in it! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it with us. Shalom, Spitfire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truelly inspirational. We all have those skeletons in our closet and if we just give ourselves to Jesus Christ, what wonders he will do for us in our lives.

    ReplyDelete