Monday, April 19, 2010

Are You Pleased with Yourself




Ok ....... Let's see if the above smiley face is going to show or if all the info garbage for it come's up. We will find out when I hit the Publish button.

Did everyone have a wonderful Easter? Ours was fabulous. Everyone got fed twice that Sunday with a great service and then a big pot luck dinner afterwards.

I have 2 or 3 things I'm working on right now, trying to keep everything as to the way the Holy Spirit wants things done. Here is something from June 2008 that we picked out for you to think about.


Through My Mind’s Eye
Inspired by the Holy Spirit
Edited by Jesus Christ

Are You Pleased with Yourself

All my life I have done things for others. Sometimes, not very often, wishing I would get something in return from them but never expecting it. Nevertheless, I would extend a helping hand to do what needed to be done, pleased with myself because it not only took a small burden off them and made them feel a little better it also made me feel good too.
Not until I was reading through the book of Romans did I realize that I was doing something that as a Christian is required from me. Romans 15:1-3 “We then who are strong ought to bear with the scruples of the weak, and not to please ourselves. 2 Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, leading to edification. 3 For even Christ did not please Himsef; but as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached You fell on Me.” (Psalm 69:9).
I had to read Romans 15:1-3 more than just a few times and search my feelings and ask God for help because I was not sure if I should be pleased with myself. As I sat there listening for my answer my eyes were directed to the dictionary on the shelf above the computer. I was to look up the definition of scruples and edification and I would find my answer.
–Scruple(s) – “Doubt or uncertainty regarding a question of moral right of duty; reluctance arising from conscientious disapproval. To have scruples (about); hesitate (to do) from motives of conscience.”
-Edification – “Intellectual or moral enlightenment and improvement.”
For the few times I had wished for something in return, even though I was helping someone else, my heart being in the right place and my mind not, my motives for doing it were selfish. Being pleased with myself did not make God pleased with me for my selfish wishful thinking!
God wants me to Love and be Loved. He wants me to feel good and be pleased with all the good that I can do for others. But there cannot be any other motives than the Feel Good Love I give and receive from helping someone in need! And that alone is reward enough!
I don’t look for recognition, and the reward that I will receive when I leave to be with Jesus and our Father God is reward enough. However, it does make a person feel good when we get a Thank You and a pat on the back, especially when it comes from God. So remember when you do something for someone else, do it because you love them and want to ease a burden they may be carrying. And don’t forget to say thank you if it is your burden being lifted. Those two little words, thank you, along with a hug and a peck on the cheek do make a person feel good and appreciated.

MGBYAKY and remember JLY

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Skippy. Glad ya'll had a great Easter. Sorry we missed it....we were helping someone at Tabernacle. So I guess we were doing what you wrote about without knowing it. Thrilled to hear that the service went well....I knew Kathy would do a great job!! If you listen on Saturday evenings, you'll hear us honk as we drive by...just letting you know we love ya'll. Shalom, Spitfire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to thank you for sharing your blog with me and I'm sorry it took me awhile to post a comment. But I decided today I was going to make it a point to sit down and say "Hello". Life does get somewhat busy and it is easy to forget things but that's really no excuse. So, again thank you for sharing and thank you both for always coming in to Cotton Patch and making my day special. Your friend(and waitress)JoAnn

    ReplyDelete